Every child can have the chance to learn an instrument
- The National Music Plan is expected to demand that more children reach higher standards of musicianship. There is likely to be an investment in instrumental learning, with an emphasis on performance and attainment.
Successful Music Hub bidders will need to show how more pupils can understand music and achieve a standard of playing equivalent to Grades 1-3. The choice of instrument will not be key, but the chance to learn to play and progress will be.
The ambition will be to increase access for pupils to learn at low cost initially, with greater investment in those with the potential to develop.
Watch the Digital Music Hub Presentation
By partnering with Gigajam you can immediately increase your reach into secondary schools and offer every child in your area the chance to learn to play for free. Our work to date over 1,000 schools shows that Gigajam increases the demand for instrumental tuition from Music Services – we’re complementary, not competitive.
How does it work?
Gigajam provides high quality instrument learning in guitar, bass, keyboard and drums. It uses the internet so that pupils can interact live with digital technology in the classroom, and then carry on learning outside the classroom and in their homes.
Pupils constantly assess their progress as they learn. Teachers can immediately see how they are doing and feedback. Measuring attainment is quick and effective. Pupils can learn to perform individually, in groups and in bands from Day 1.
How will it boost my Music Hub bid?
You will be able to show that you can achieve the following:
- Increase your reach into schools, in particular secondary schools, to support the delivery of music, technology and the creative curriculum at KS3 & 4
- Bridge from Wider Opportunities into an offer for all pupils that is sustainable and can take learners to a standard equivalent to Grade 5
- Increase the demand in numbers of pupils choosing to learn an instrument with one of your teachers through the Music Service
- Give every child, irrespective of their needs or background, the chance to learn a musical instrument online for free
How much will it cost us?
We have designed a flexible model that takes account of future funding: for just 1.5% of your music fund grant allocation you can offer Gigajam free to all secondary schools in your Music Hub area. The Harnessing Technology grant could help too.
Don’t wait for the Plan to be published. Contact me now: firstname.lastname@example.org 01494 534 880 07976 208 859